- food chain
- noun(ecology) a community of organisms where each member is eaten in turn by another member• Hypernyms: ↑organic phenomenon
* * *food chain,1. Ecology. a group of organisms so interrelated that each member of the group feeds upon the one below it and is in turn eaten by the organism above it.2. Figurative: »
Metalheads may not rank very high on the socioeconomic food chain, but they are certainly not embarrassed (New York Times).
* * *n. a hierarchical series of organisms each dependent on the next as a source of food
* * *noun, pl ⋯ chains [count]: a series of types of living things in which each one uses the next lower member of the series as a source of food— usually used with the
Sharks eat fish that are lower in the food chain.
animals that are at the top/bottom of the food chain— often used figuratively
directors and producers at the top of the Hollywood food chain [=very powerful and successful directors and producers]
the corporate food chain
* * *a series of living creatures in which each type of creature feeds on the one below it in the series
Insects are fairly low down (on) the food chain.
Pesticides work their way up the food chain from plants, through insects and birds to humans.
Useful english dictionary. 2012.